Friday, February 19, 2016

Bishop Dunn Science Fair

Today, February 19th, I attended the Bishop Dunn Science Fair. Today's Science fair consisted of projects from the middle schoolers (grades 6-8) at Bishop Dunn Memorial School. When I arrived at the Science fair Mrs. Foster-Faith told me to have a look around and get some ideas for my own science fair project. Right away, I was impressed with the quality of work that the middle schoolers produced for their projects. Some were definitely more thought out than others, however. For instance, there was one entitled "Lasting Lips" that tested the lasting power of affordable lipsticks versus more expensive lipsticks. While there was a testable hypothesis, it was still an experiment that could have been done last minute. The scientist could have also made their presentation more appealing to the eye as well as included an assortment of brands rather than only two.


On the other hand, there was a project that tested cleaning different pennies with various products and utensils. This student took a simple concept and made a very eye-catching presentation as well as extensively testing the different products on the coins. The student included many photos as well as informative graphs. The student even took the extra mile to bring in the different products they used on the coins, even the toothbrushes! 


Overall, I think attending this Science Fair gave me an idea of the direction I want to take with my Science Fair project. After taking a look at all the middle school projects, I now realize what makes a good science fair project versus one where there might not have been as much effort put in. Attending this Science Fair also made me aware of how important it was to get each student involved in order to make science have meaning in their daily lives.  




No comments:

Post a Comment